Wednesday 10 September 2008

Museum; Guggenheim New York


I was lucky enough to visit this museum when I went to New York with 25 friends and our design teacher on an expedition to to view design, innovation, architecture and design within Manhattan.

The building itself is a tribute to architecture and was created by Frank Loyd Wright. Quoted from the museum entrance "I need a fighter, a lover of space, an agitator, a tester and a wise man. . . . I want a temple of spirit, a monument!"
—Hilla Rebay to Frank Lloyd Wright, 1943

The museum itself has a mission to promote an understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, and to collect, conserve, and study the art of our time. The one thing I noticed about the museum was its international diversity. Obviously being in New York it see s visitors from all over the world and yet the museum had exhibitions catered from all over the world, some places I had not even heard of. The meuseum also embraces dancers, writers, composers, poets and musicians and exhibits regular audiences to them. The museum was a huge inspiration to me and the cultural diversity and art it choose to show to me really broadened my mind to what can be art and how different cultures show it and express it.

1 comment:

Francesca Bennett said...

I love the guggenheim. I think its organi spiral shape is a brilliant and unique set up for an art gallery. It was also my first experience of a picasso, so it was special!