Thursday 11 September 2008

Museum; HMS Belfast

Although it is not on land the boat is still a facinating museum to look around, its just on water!! Being from a family where my Grandad served in the navy, on vesels similar to Belfast, during the war he always talked about them through my child hood and it became an interest to me to know about them and learn about them.

HMS Belfast played its part during the second world war and helped in the destruction of Germanys biggest battlecruiser the Scharnhorst. It is amazing to see the 9 deck ship right from the sleeping and eating quarters up to the huge gun terruts and head naval offices. Whilst wondering around the sleeping decks it was easy to relate to my Grandads storys of the struggles of sea sickness and his emotional story of being torpedoed and looseing many friends in the lower decks.My self personally and I think many others take the wars for granted and do not realize the lengths and imense struggles people went through so the likes ofmyself and my generation are free to live and carry on with our lives. The HMS Belfast really allows you to appreciate how they worked and the conditions they faced as well as appreciate the amazing technology and skill it takes to build a vessel like this. I will always take away a sense of pride when I have the oppertunity to see things like this and be thankful to my Grandad and all those that gave there lives in the War so we could live how we do today.

No comments: